Maelstrom MXS "Standby" (26650)
Shop our instagram gallery
The Maelstrom is back, better, and standing by...
The light that's ready even when you are not
Cree XHP 50.2
It's been a long wait, but it was worth it.
Over a year in development, the MXS is the first all-new Foursevens light under the Prometheus banner, it's finally here, and I'm super excited about it! It's called the "Standby" for two very important reasons:
- The Inductive charging base keeps your light ready to go at all times. No more wondering if your batteries are charged...they are...as long as you put it back on the base.
- Standby Mode is activated when you put the light on the charging base. This means the light will automatically turn on (in the lowest setting) when a power outage occurs...and it will at some point. When the lights go out, the MXS is way ahead of you.
Pre-Production Sale (one week only):
This first batch is our Pre-Production shake down run. You get to be first, and you also get a big discount. These lights are covered by our Lifetime warranty but there are three things you need to know:
We only have 150 units in stock:
>>> FIRST SHIPMENT (immediate) <<< We will ship the first 150 orders immediately.
>>> SECOND SHIPMENT (delayed) <<< The remaining pre-production inventory is already on a ship bound for the US and scheduled to arrive in 1-2 weeks. Sometimes shipments clear the port in a week, sometimes there are delays...things are still crazy in the world. Placing an order will secure your place in line (and discount) and will ship ASAP.
- All sales are final: because you are getting a big discount. If you have a problem, as always, we'll fix it. If you just don't like the light, maybe it would make a great gift for someone you care about...that can't see in the dark. Know anyone like that?
- Known issue: There is one small issue that we are aware of. Don't freak out yet, it's small. The light was supposed to allow access to Burst Mode from the off state. It appears there is a programming conflict with the lock-out mode. This just means the light must be turned on in order to access burst mode. The light activates automatically when you remove it from the charging base, so in a normal use case, the light is already on anyway. Not a huge deal, but we are always transparent. It was going to take a long time to sort out, so I decided to proceed with the Pre-Production lights anyway.
In the past, Foursevens was known for leading the industry in performance and technology. Over the last decade the flashlight world has grown immensely, and the playing field is much more level than it used to be. Anyone can make a powerful light these days, and large companies with dozens of staff engineers and designers are working tirelessly to bring you the latest craze...but they often forget their users actually use their lights. That's the first thing on my mind, and the reason the MXS exists.
So what now? My plan for the new Foursevens is to double down on reliability, usability, and CRI. My background is in product design, which is about making sure engineering meets the needs of the human using the object. Things don't need to be newer, they need to be better.
If you know me, you know I hate lights with plug-in charging ports. Yes, it's convenient (sometimes) but most lights make some major sacrifices in reliability. Lights with charging ports are prone to mechanical failure and contamination by dust and water when the seals inevitably fail. I want my light to work when I need it most. So I set out to find a convenient charging solution that wasn't plagued by the problems of plug-in charging. Enter inductive charging; ports are so 2020.
- Foursevens rechargeable Li-Ion 26650 battery included!
- Cree XHP 50.2 (4000K / 90+ CRI)
- Inductive Charging
- Standby Mode (stays charged and automatically turns on during a power outage)
- Illuminated electronic side switch (simplified UI)
- Hybrid regulation: CC + High-Frequency PWM (invisible)
- Reverse polarity protection
- Water Resistance = IPX8
in the box
- Maelstrom MXS Flashlight
- Foursevens 26650 battery (5500mAh - 15A - protected Li-Ion)
- Inductive Charging Base
- USB-C Charging Cable
- Alternate switch buttons: Clear and Opaque Black (if you don't want the status light to show)
- 3D printed switch tool, made in-house on our Markforged printer.
- Inductive Charging: The charging base utilizes a standard USB-C connector. The tail is permanently sealed, completely eliminating the two biggest problems with in-light charging. Not new, just better. Way better. The light also has a green/red charge indicator inside the translucent button. When on the charging base, the light is illuminated all the time, so you can find it in the dark.
- Standby Mode: When the power goes out, the light turns on. This means (a) when the power goes out you can see and (b) you can find your flashlight with ease. When you pick up the light from the base, it also turns on. Cool right? The MXS detects the power interruption to the charging circuit. This also means the light will turn on if you unplug the base from the wall. Hey, it's smart, not a genius.
Standard 26650 Batteries: No more proprietary batteries! Thorough a little cleverness and a real pain in the butt manufacturing step we've eliminated the need for special batteries. This means you can charge the battery in an external charger (not just inside the light), or use any 26650 battery you have access to (protected or unprotected).
If you want to travel with your light and leave the charging base at home, you can use our ultra-compact USB Flex Charger. Keep in mind, it only delivers 500mA of current, so it will take over 10 hours to charge a fully depleted battery. But you are a knowledgeable battery user and recharge early and often right? Right?
- User swappable buttons: Sorry, I come from the custom light world, so I like having the option for you to customize your lights. The MXS comes with two extra buttons, clear and opaque black. You decide.
- Cree XHP 50.2 (4000K 90CRI): The MXS tops out at about 1900 lumens. It won't set trees on fire at 100 yards, but 1900 lumens is way more than you need most of the time. Way too much for inside, and plenty for most back yards. 90 CRI and the "right" color temperature (4000K) means you won't miss any details.
- Electronic Side Switch: I normally hate side switch lights, so I designed one that I love. The E-Switch enables an incredibly simple and effective UI. In fact, I'm kind of wishing every light we made had an electronic switch. See the UI section below for an in depth discussion.
- Ergonomics (for real): You know what I hate most about side switch lights? I mean, other than turning them on by accident? Not being able to tell where the friggin' button is. I designed the asymmetrical grip to tell your brain where the switch is without looking at the light. It can be activated with either an overhand or underhand grip.
- Lockout Mode: I know you hate accidental activation as much as I do, so the MXS features a lockout mode. Just click the switch (rapidly) 5 times when the light is off. Two blinks confirms entering (or exiting) lockout mode.
- Direct Access to Moonlight mode: From off, just long-press the side switch and the light will activate on this lowest setting. Never worry about what mode your light has remembered.
- Burst Mode: A quick double click allows access to 100% output, no matter what level you are currently in. Another double click takes you back to the last mode you used.
- Digital Bump Protection: All current Foursevens lights have this feature, but this light was born to tailstand. Bump protection eliminates accidental mode changes when you set the light down on its tail.
DIY Friendly: *warning-nerd content* This industry was created by individual makers and modders working at home on their kitchen tables. People who love tinkering, technology, and flashlights! Unlike most industries, flashlights have been driven by the little guys and we intend to honor that tradition. Most manufacturers (including Foursevens in the past) glue or thread lock on certain components so they cannot be disassembled without a lot of effort and/or destroying the light. This was to prevent people from tinkering. I say tinker on my friends! DO NOT OPEN THE TAILCAP: This is a permanent assembly (we glued it) but unscrewing the tailcap will break the inductive charging wires and that can't be fixed.
The electronic switch enables an incredibly simple and intuitive user interface. Unlike a mechanical tail switch, the side switch can measure duration, not just on/off.
From off: Holding (long-press) the switch activates moonlight mode. Release the switch to accept the current output. Continue holding to ramp up through all modes.
- From off: Clicking the switch turns the light on in the last mode used.
- From on: Hold the switch and it will ramp up to high. If you are already in high, the light will ramp down. Release the switch to accept the current output.
- Burst Mode: When the light is on, just double click the switch for burst mode (100% output). A second double click returns you to the last mode used.
- Bump Protection = <60ms off time = no mode change
- Mode Memory = Last mode used (0.5 second on or off time)
Burst Mode Memory = No memory
- Burst mode behavior = 30 seconds burst (100% output), ramp to high mode (60%) over next 30 seconds.
What's up with burst mode? : This feature is ported over from the flagship Prometheus Alpha Flashlights. It allows you to access maximum output at any time without scrolling through other modes. This also allows you to have maximum output when you need it, but conserve battery by using the standard high mode (60% output) for normal use.
Burst mode is activated with a very fast double click and does not have mode memory. Burst is active for 30 seconds and then ramps down to high mode over the following 30 seconds.
The MXS has the right number of properly spaced output modes:
- Moonlight - 5 lumens
- Low - 50 lumens
- Medium - 360 lumens
- High - 1100 lumens
- Burst - 1900 lumens
|Dimensions||Length: 5.6 inches|
Diameter: 1.8 inches
Weight (with batteries): 11.4 oz
|LED Emitter||Cree XHP50.2 (4000K / 90+ CRI)|
Moonlight: 5 lumens, 250 hrs (calculated)|
Low: 50 lumens, 40 hrs (calculated)
Medium: 360 lumens, 6 hrs
High: 1100 lumens 2.5 hrs
Max/Burst 1900 lumens, 2.4 hrs (30 seconds burst, then ramps down to high)
|Body Material||Type-III hard-anodized 6061-T6 aluminum|
|Lens Material||Optical-grade glass lens with antireflective coating on both sides|
|Included Accessories||26650 Li-Ion rechargeable battery, USB-C Cable, Switch boots (Clear and Opaque Black)|
|Where it's Made|