Quark QK16L MKIII (16650)
Shop our instagram gallery
The classic Quark, modernized.
introducing the quark qk16l mkiii
It was a huge responsibility to take something so good and improve upon it, but that’s just what we’ve done.
The Quark was the first commercially produced "high output" LED flashlight on the market. When the Quark flashlight hit the scene some 10 years ago, it completely shattered the mold and ushered in the era of modern EDC (Every Day Carry) flashlights. It put the Foursevens brand (and founder David Chow) on the map as an innovation leader in the world of EDC gear and spawned a new flashlight form factor that other manufacturers were quick to imitate.
Since then, the Quark has continuously evolved and the MKIII is intended to continue that legacy. I like to think the Quark is the Porsche 911 of flashlights: some things are so good they don’t need to be re-invented, they just need to be refined.
When I took over the Foursevens brand from David in 2018, this Quark project quickly became all-consuming. How to take my 10 years of experience designing high-end custom flashlights and combine them with the decade David spent reiterating and refining the brand’s flagship?
The next generation Quark is the best yet, and I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to get one into your hands.
BATTERY WARNING: The QUARK QK16L MKIII will accept 2xCR123 or 2xRCR123 batteries. However, we STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST THEIR USE. Catastrophic failure can occur when one of the two cells is not functioning correctly, causing thermal runaway in the other cell. There is a significant risk of fire and/or explosion when using two cells.
What's new with the Quark MKIII
- Industry-leading LED: The MKIII features the newest Nichia 319A with 5000K color temperature and 80+ CRI. It's meant to strike the perfect balance between beam quality and output.
- Configurable interface: No one can agree on the best program setup so we offer 6 convenient program presets (configurations). Choose your favorite, at any time. The configurable user interface that is being standardized across the entire Foursevens line. No matter what light you pick up, you'll know exactly how to use it.
- Burst mode: Using a very fast double press, burst mode (100%) output is directly accessible from any previous level, and reverts to the last saved mode. Experts agree that most flashlights are used at lower level outputs, but sometimes you need to dial it to up. We've got you covered on both counts.
- More beef: For when gravity strikes, and it always does. The diameter of the entire light is *very* slightly larger to improve mechanical reliability and impact resistance because durability + reliability = longevity. Built for life.
- The best pocket clips on the market period: Pocket clips are my jam because I obsess about every detail, because every detail matters. The new clip is made from thicker material, provides easier pocketing, and improved grip. Most of the "grip" on a flashlight comes from the pocket clip, not the surface finish.
- Tailstand cap (if you know, you know.): All Quarks ship with the traditional forward (momentary) clicky switch that stands proud of the tail. For those who prefer a recessed button and a light that can tailstand, we also include the all new snap-on Quark Tailstand Cap.
- Hybrid Memory: A blend of memory and no-memory, the hybrid configuration saves the last mode used, but reverts to the first mode in the sequence when shifting out of a saved mode.
- Solid Copper (Direct Thermal) MCPCB:The LED is mounted to a solid copper PCB to provide superior thermal performance and maximum output. A first for the Quark.
- DIY Friendly: *warning-nerd content* This industry was created by individual makers and modders working at home on their kitchen tables. People who love tinkering, technology, and flashlights! Unlike most industries, flashlights have been driven by the little guys and we intend to honor that tradition. Most manufacturers (including Foursevens in the past) glue or thread lock on certain components so they cannot be disassembled without a lot of effort and/or destroying the light. This was to prevent people from tinkering. I say tinker on my friends!
- Standard includes a Rechargeable Li-Ion 16650 battery & Tailstand Cap
- Combo Kit adds a Flex Charger
- Foursevens rechargeable Li-Ion 16650 battery included!
- Current Regulation
- Reverse polarity protection
- Nichia 319A (5000K / 80+ CRI)
- Water Resistance = IPX8
NEW USER INTERFACE:
All Quarks feature a new interface with six selectable configuration modes so you can customize your Quark specifically to your needs.
- Output in programming mode = 15% (medium)
- Bump Protection = <60ms off time = no mode change
- Enter configuration menu = 10 cycles within 3 seconds.
- Mode change interval: .5 seconds
- Memory set (off) time = .5 seconds
- Memory function = revert to mode 1
- Burst Mode Memory = no memory
- Burst mode behavior = 30 seconds burst (100% output), ramp to high mode (60%) over next 30 seconds.
What's up with burst mode? : This feature is ported over from the flagship Prometheus Alpha Flashlights. It allows you to access maximum output at any time without scrolling through other modes. This also allows you to have maximum output when you need it, but conserve battery by using the standard high mode (60% output) for normal use.
Burst mode is activated with two very fast off/on cycles (.2 second spacing) and does not have mode memory. Burst is active for 30 seconds and then ramps down to high mode over the following 30 seconds. This is to prevent the light from overheating and damaging the LED, electronics, or battery wrapper.
All Quarks are initially set to Configuration 3 with Medium/High/Burst. They can be reconfigured as often as you'd like.
Here are the possible configurations:
- Config. 1: High - (Burst 100%)
- Config. 2: Max (100%) - Strobe
- Config. 3: Medium - High - (Burst)
- Config. 4: Low - Medium - High - (Burst)
- Config. 5: High - Medium - Low - (Burst)
- Config. 6: Low - Med - High - Strobe - SOS - Beacon - (Burst)
- Operating your Quark is simple. Make sure that the battery is inserted with the positive side (+) toward the head.
- To turn it on press or click the tailcap button. A press allows momentary activation of the light.
- A quick off/on cycle changes modes
- Two very quick off/on cycles activates burst mode
- Enter configuration mode with 10 on/off cycles in less than 3 seconds. The light will begin to blink a number of times corresponding to the selected configuration. For example if you are in Config. 3: 3 blinks, pause, 3 blinks. If there is no input for 5 seconds the light will exit configuration mode.
- Turn the light off for 5 seconds to save the current configuration to memory
|Dimensions||Length: 4.5 inches
Diameter: 0.88 inches
Weight (with batteries): 3.2 oz
|LED Emitter||Nichia 319A (5000K / 80+ CRI)|
|Brightness Levels|| Low (Moonlight): 1 lumens, 270 hrs
Medium: 40 lumens, 16 hrs
High 400 lumens 1.75 hrs
Max/Burst 700 lumens, 1.5 hrs
|Body Material||Type-III hard-anodized 6061-T6 aluminum|
|Lens Material||Optical-grade glass lens with antireflective coating on both sides|
|Included Accessories||16650 Li-Ion rechargeable battery, spare o-rings, Tailstand Cap|
|Where it's Made|